... A beautiful brand new school
The article below was taken from the City of Melrose Web Site.
City of Melrose
"The former Roosevelt Elementary School, located at 253 Vinton Street, served a K-5 population of 256 students in December 2000. The Roosevelt School was built in 1924, added to in 1954 and again in 1956. Prior to the start of construction of the new Roosevelt Elementary School, the school was the oldest school in the elementary school system. The building also suffered severe flooding problems in recent years which caused the building to be closed for several days.
Plans for the new building call for complete demolition of the structure and construction of a new 65,500 square foot building. The final plans call for a new school complex that will include classrooms for grades Pre-K-5 and self-contained special needs. The new Roosevelt School will provide 19 general classrooms and 4 additional classrooms for music, art, and physical/occupational therapy. The new building will also provide a library media center and a computer classroom. When the new facility opens in September of 2002, state-of-the-art education technology will be available to students, including computers and television monitors in each classroom with cable TV and Internet access. There will also be an internal LAN (local area network) and video network throughout the building.
The new school will house a cafetorium that will seat approximately 170 students for lunch and over 200 people when used as an auditorium. A platform stage will allow the school to present theatre productions and musical events. The cafetorium will be located adjacent to the new Brunswick Park main entry into the building.
The new facility will also include a regulation, full-sized, 7,000 square foot gymnasium. The first level of the gymnasium is actually designed to be "built-into" the large slope that currently exists on the Vinton Street side of the building. There will be at-grade access into the second level of the building from Vinton Street.
The new building is being built to accommodate up to 413 students and includes two additional classrooms that will serve as flex classrooms in the event that a "bubble" in any particular grade should occur and additional classrooms are required. There will be parking on the site for 52 cars with access to the parking lot from Brunswick Park. As well as the first floor of the building being raised to an elevation above the current floodplain, the parking lot will also be raised to prevent any future flooding of the parking area.
A new rear playground and basketball court will be constructed and the adjoining Messengers Field, which is used for school and community activities, will be completely regraded. The current baseball field will be resurfaced to serve as a softball field."
Following are pictures taken by Stringer Ella Letterie the day of "Open House" on September 14, 2002.
These tiles were painted by the last class of the old school and incorporated into the tiles of the new school. Every section is color coordinated. There are benches built into the walls in front of every classroom, in order that the children may remove boots and such.
Each classroom is decorated according to the age level of the student. There are open doors between each room. The child does not feel confined.
Every classroom has a sink and water bubbler so that the child does not have to leave to room for water. The boys and girls rooms are immediately outside the classroom.
The nurses station is fully equipped and provides privacy to the student.
The music room affords individual space to the student.
The auditorium is spacious and also has a stage on which the children can perform their productions.
The gymnasium is oversized and has a separator in the center so that the facility can be used by more than one activity.
The New School is air conditioned and is acoustically perfect.
Last, but not least, a statue of Theodore Roosevelt after whom this school was named. Theodore Roosevelt was our 26th President.
October 4, 2002